Recipe 2: Sesame Chicken Salad
Note: My rendition of one served in Seattle.
Ingredients to make the Sesame Chicken Salad:
1/4 cup of Marmalade
1 head of shredded lettuce
Fried hard noodles (katayaki soba) or fried strips of harumaki (egg roll) wrappers
Age-dofu (Deep fried blocks of tofu)
Strips of chicken
Strips of cucumber
Strips of carrots
Strips of daikon
Hot sweet Thai chilli sauce (recipe provided below)
Sesame dressing (recipe provided below)
Ingredients to make Thai Sesame Dressing:
2 tbs of vinegar
2 tbs of soy sauce
2 tbs of honey or hot sweet Thai chilli sauce (recipe provided below)
3 tbs of sesame oil
2 tbs of sesame seeds
1 tbs of fresh ginger
2 tbs of oil (or 1 tbs. of sesame oil + 1 tbs. of vinegar)
Ingredients to make Hot Sweet Thai Chilli Sauce:
About a cup of sugar
1/2 tsp of salt
1 - 2 tbs of fresh chilli
1 - 2 tbs of dried chilli
1/8-14 cup of rice or white vinegar
2 tbs of finely chopped garlic
Steps to make a Sesame Chicken Salad:
1. In a large bowl you will need to add 1/4 cup of marmalade and smear it around the inside of the dish to toss the lettuce with. When mixed well, place some on each plate.
2. Fry the age-dofu in the hot sweet thai chilli sauce and cut into strips when cool.
3. Next, fry the strips of chicken fried in the remaining hot sweet Thai chilli sauce. Set aside. When cooking the tofu and then the chicken, do not use oil, just add the ingredients to a very hot skillet.
4. Add the noodles on top of the prepared lettuce.
5. Next add the tofu.
6. Arrange the chicken on the lettuce and tofu.
7. Add the rest of the vegetables.
8. Sprinkle with peanuts and serve with salad dressing.
Best if eaten with chopsticks.