Recipe 7: Petrifying Pumpkin Curry
Happy Halloween! Don't be afraid to get stuck into this great recipe - once you have all the ingredients, the rest is very simple:
2 cups of pumpkin cut into 1-inch chunks
1 small onion, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
1 sprig of curry leaves
1 tsp of curry powder
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup of coconut milk/cream
1 tbs of ground mustard seeds
1/2 tsp of chilli powder (optional)
1/2 tsp of fenugreek seeds
1 tbs of oil (vegetable/olive oil)
1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
2 tbs of raw rice (optional)
2 tbs of grated coconut (optional)
Steps to make a Sri Lankan Pumpkin Curry:
1. (This step is optional) Roast raw rice and grated coconut in a dry pan till golden brown, taking care not to burn. Let it cool and grind down into a coarse powder.
2. Stir fry onions, green chillies, garlic, curry leaves, and remaining ingredients for a few minutes.
3. Add pumpkin and stir fry for a few more minutes.
4. Add one cup of water, season with salt and cover pan till pumpkin is cooked.
5. Add coconut milk to the pumpkin when it is boiled and cook for a few more minutes.
6. (This step is optional) Add the ground raw rice and grated coconut into the curry.
7. Adjust salt to taste.
Best served with hot rice.