Recipe 3: Aloo Ki Bhujjiya
Please note: This is not Nani’s recipe, which is behind lock and key. You’ll have to do with a cheaper substitute.
1 onion finely chopped
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
500g (1.25 lb) potatoes, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tomatoes finely chopped
Steps to make Aloo Ki Bhujjiya:
1. Brown onion lightly in oil in a medium sized frying pan.
2. Stir in salt, cayenne, turmeric and cumin.
3. Add potatoes and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add tomatoes, cover pan and cook until potatoes are soft (about 10 minutes).
5. Garnish the cooked dish thoroughly with coriander and serve hot.
Best served with: puri, roti or paratha, rice, or bread.